How can we overcome the challenge of speaking to our GP about our mental health?
At our February public event we discussed mental health and the various levels of support that are available to people in Wandsworth.
To access mental health support, we often need to speak to our GP, but many people told us they find it challenging speaking about mental health concerns with their GP.
During our event, we asked about people's experiences accessing mental health support services, what they would like to see more of and what would help them feel more comfortable when talking to their GP about mental health.
- Most raise concerns about length of appointment times and access to support.
- Patients wanted a choice of help, being able to choose to see the same GP or even see someone other than their GP about mental health, including support groups and services that have an impact on mental health like fitness activities.
- Parents and carers need to be supported
- Many felt that they wanted to feel more confident that their GP and other surgery staff understood mental health.
- More information should be available to increase awareness about existing services, as well as reducing stigma.