Resources to help you make a complaint

We know that making a complaint about NHS or social care services can be confusing.

We have worked with Citizens Advice to provide you with the information you need to make a complaint when things go wrong.

You can also contact us to find out how to get help with making your complaint.

Local complaint services

Rethink Advocacy

In Wandsworth, Rethink Advocacy offers a range of advocacy services for Wandsworth residents. They are an independent organisation.

They provide Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service for people who wish to make a complaint about treatment they received, that was provided under the NHS, including Independent Mental Health and Mental Capacity Advocacy.

They also provide Care and Support Advocacy, Community Advocacy, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and Liberty Protection Safeguards and specialist deaf advocacy support.

They provide Peer and group advocacy and support to self-advocate.

Read more information about how the service can help you 

Find out more


Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

The PALS team at St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is a patient friendly, easy-to-access service designed to provide a personal contact to assist patients, relatives and carers.

PALS can offer you on-the-spot advice and information when you have queries or difficulties regarding our services or the care you have received.

You can find more information on the help and support they offer on their website.

Find out more 

Wandsworth Council

Unfortunately there are times when things go wrong, and as part of their commitment to high-quality services, Wandsworth Council are making sure that they listen to your complaints.

Find out more about how to make a complaint with Wandsworth Council about their services including social care services funded by the Council.

Find out more 

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman looks at individual complaints about councils, all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

They are a free service.

Find out more 

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman make final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations.

Their service is free. 

Find out more

Tips and tools for making a complaint

Adult social care complaints

Practical help you can use to make a complaint about adult social care services, including flowcharts, helpful tips and sample letters.

Find out more

GP complaints

Find out where to start if you have a problem with your GP. 

Find out more

NHS Hospital complaints

This information applies to all patients in NHS hospitals. It also applies if you're being treated in a private hospital when the treatment is funded by the NHS.

Find out more

Mental health services complaints

If you’re unhappy about your treatment for a mental health problem, you may be able to make a complaint. 

Find out more

Other NHS services

NHS care is usually very good and most people don’t have any problems. But occasionally things can go wrong. Find out more about complaints about other services.

Find out more


Find out information about how a staff member can report a problem in the NHS or an adult social care service

Find out more

Complaints about NHS services

Information on how to complain on behalf of someone else, top tips for making a complaint and sample letters. 

Find out more

NHS dentist complaints

Find out how to make a complaint about NHS dental care.

Find out more